Sunday, September 22, 2013

SAQA in Hawaii

SAQA will be live and thrive in Hawaii,
Detail of My Girl
 or at least I'll try my best! Our September meeting had to be postponed from the 7th to the 28th (coming up next weekend, so you still have time. Don't miss it!)  We have some new members, and hopefully our snowbirds will return ready to go.  I just got back from meeting with a group of fiber artists on Maui, hosted by Kathleen, and it looks like we may have some SAQA interest there. Some talented people, with interesting jobs. A fabric designer for Michael Miller, some fabric painters and creators of custom painted clothing, and a delightful quilt artist named Nancy Meyer who was my hostess for two days. We had a terrific time travelling around the island and hitting the galleries.
Tomorrow I fly to Oahu, and will give a lecture to the quilt guild in Honolulu about Art Principles for Quilters. Of course, I'm also going to tell them all about SAQA, and encourage them to join us. And also, m,aybe get some of them to sign up for the photoshop retreat in February.
 Meanwhile I'm still having fun with the improvisational piecing, even made a BED quilt with it (gasp).  I had some enthusiastic students in Kona when I taught a class on that at the end of August
Improvisational  Tropical Bed Quilt
A little piano bench cover for Sophie, with painted giraffes. Otherwise, being sick has really limited my  studio time and efforts
We have houseguests coming October 1, and I leave the 16th for California. I'll get to go to PIQF, where My Girl and 'Shrooms will be hanging, then spend time with the kids until IQA Houston, where I'll get to take part in some SAQA activities, and see my quilts hanging in several exhibits (  SAQA's  Text Messaging, West Coast Wonders ( two of my stained glass pieces, Tributary and my wild pelicans), the Israeli Quilters' Association's exhibit, The Many Faces of Jerusalem, and SAQA's auction  (Opake). If you're going to be at either show, let me know and we'll meet up!

1 comment:

  1. Love all the detail - the golden hair, the blue eyes, the great smile!

    ReplyDelete